Faculty & Staff
Amanda Clay Powers
Associate Professor / Interim Coordinator of the Reference Department / Social Media Research Librarian
Mitchell Memorial Library
P.O. Box 5408
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Phone: (662) 325 - 7677
I am the Interim Coordinator for the Reference Department at Mitchell Memorial Library, including Reference, Government Documents, microform and Current Journals collections, faculty, and staff.
I am also the Interim Social Sciences Librarian.
As the Social Media Research Librarian, I assist faculty and departments across campus with research and support related to the study and implementation of social media tools. As the Chair of the MSU Libraries Social Media Management Committee, I lead the Libraries efforts in implementing, maintaining, training and research in social media.
Library Liaison for:
- Plant and Soil Sciences
- Poultry Science
- RSS Liaison, American Library Association (RUSA) Access to Information Committee (2007 - 2009)
- Chair, ALA RUSA Virtual Reference Discussion Group (2009 - 2011)
- Vice-President / President-elect, Mississippi Library Association (2013-2014)
- Treasurer, Mississippi Library Association (2007 - 2009)
- Member, Mississippi Library Association Executive Board (2007 - 2009, 2013-2014)
- Chair, Social Media Management Committee
- Member, Library Technologies Committee
- Member, MSU LEETS Committee
- Member, Assessment Committee
- Member, Coordinators Group
- Core Faculty, Center for the History of Agriculture, Science and the Environment in the South (CHASES) (2011-) http://chases.msstate.edu
- Advisory Board Member, Virtual Archives for Land-Grant History, Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU), Headquartered at Mississippi State University http://lghp.msstate.edu/
- Member, Undergraduate Research and Creative Discovery Committee (2013 - present)
- Member, MSU Faculty Advisory Committee for the Center for Teaching and Learning (2007 -2011)
- Download (.pdf)
My research focuses on social media in academia and new methods of offering reference services.
I teach workshops on managing identity in professional social networks, as well as participate in training library staff on relevant social media tools.