The following is a photographic essay of historic buildings on the campus of Mississippi State University. The University was founded as Mississippi A&M College in 1878 and campus operations began in 1880. The buildings pictured here were constructed during the early years of the university and represent various architectural styles of the late 1800s and early 1900s. Several of the buildings are still standing and still functional. Interiors have been remodeled, but exteriors look much as the same as when they were constructed. Other buildings have been demolished to make room for larger, more structurally sound edifices. The older buildings that remain serve as a connection to the past when a small A&M College was born that has since grown into a major university, the largest in the state of Mississippi.
Industrial Education Building
Built in 1900, it is the oldest building on campus. Originally it housed the textile school and was called the Textile Building. It is also known as the "Twin Towers Building". The architectural style is Italianate. It was recently renovated. Today it houses the Instructional Systems and Workforce Development Department. The building has been designated a National Historic Place and a Mississippi Landmark.
Built in 1909, it was originally called the New Chemistry Building. Eventually it was named in honor of Professor R. C. Carpenter. Today it houses the Mechanical Engineering Department and class rooms. The architectural design is Beaux Arts. Carpenter Hall has been designated a Mississippi Landmark.
McCain Engineering Building
Originally called the Engineering Building, it was eventually named for Dewey M. McCain, former head of Civil Engineering Department. Today it houses the administrative offices of the College of Engineering, the Engineering Graphics Department, and the Engineering and Industrial Research Station. It is designated a Mississippi Landmark.
Built in 1902, the building was named for United States Senator James Z. George. Originally the campus infirmary, today it houses University Relations. The architectural design is Colonial Revival and it has been designated a Mississippi Landmark.
Built in 1909, the building has served as the academic, administration, and chapel building. It was named in honor of Stephen D. Lee, the university's first president. Today it houses student affairs administrative offices, telecommunications offices, a copying center, and class rooms. The architectural design is Beaux Arts and has been designated a Mississippi Landmark.
The Chemistry Building was built in 1883, with additions in the 1890s. Carpenter Hall (the new Chemistry Building) replaced this structure. The architectural style was pseudo Gothic.
As the first dormitory on campus, it was called the Main Dormitory and in later years became known as Old Main. The first section of Old Main was built in 1880. Additions were constructed in 1901, 1903, 1906, and 1922. When it burned January 22, 1959, it was thought to be the largest college dormitory in the United States. Bricks salvaged from the fire were used to build the Chapel of Memories.
Built in 1902, it was originally called the Scientific Building. Later it was named the Montgomery Agricultural Hall, in honor of W. B. Montgomery, a member of the first Board of Trustees. Today it houses Counselor Education and Educational Psychology Department and Disabled Student Support Services. The architectural style is Beaux Arts and it has been designated a National Historic Place and a Mississippi Landmark.
This building had several names: Administration, Chapel, College Building, and Old Administration Building. It was built in 1880 and housed the chapel, administrative offices, and recitation rooms. The architectural style was American Gothic. The building was moved to several locations before it was demolished in early 1912.
Built in 1921, the architectural style is Gothic. The cafeteria was recently named Perry Hall in honor of George D. Perry, alumnus, and his wife Jane. Jane Perry donated money for recent cafeteria renovations. Perry Hall has been designated as a Mississippi Landmark.
Built in 1914 with the assistance of a grant from John D. Rockefeller, it was the central gathering place for students. Today it houses the Counseling Center and the MSU Post Office. The architectural style is Italianate and the building has been designated a Mississippi Landmark.
Built circa 1890s, it was typical of buildings used for faculty houses and various administrative offices.
Mississippi State University Historical Buildings